Sunday, December 31, 2006

given the occasion, i fall in line.

top 10 noises of 2006:

10. junior boys - "teach me how to fight"
this was my jam in 2k6. most memorably, i listened to it while walking uphill cobblestones streets alone in edinburgh, and also when i bike-crashed into a dog and broke my face open.

9. the polyphonic version of the pixies' "here comes yr man"
my cell phone ring. being the socially maladjusted person i am, every time i hear this song i get nervous about who's on the other end of the flip-open tiny talkbox. but i've grown so used to the call-response reaction that i recently got a new phone that can play real music tones and i think maybe also turn water into wine, and the first thing i did was download some midi pixies.

8. the almost inaudible clunk of a pint glass of stella hitting the bar
all of my tip money helps keep j. brian's alive.

7. "pretty good"
remains the catchphrase of my life, when delivered by one or all of my favorites with the perfect kind of intonation that always suggests hanging out pretty good. if that doesn't make sense, it's okay.

6. joanna newsom - ys
consult the blog a few entries back, or pull cap'n guthrie's string and listen to him attribute brilliance and miracles to newsom. this album didn't settle into my life really until november, which is why it's not higher up, but it's too fucking great to not be a top 10 noise.

5. economy-sized car engines
this year i reluctantly relinquished posession of my '94 saturn to my brother and inherited a brand new 2007 toyota yaris. my saturn boxed in all my adolescent frustration in highschool, all my secret cigarettes, all the times i had to cry and didn't want anyone to know, all the outloud monologues delivered to someone i could never find the right words to say to in real life. my yaris (beatrice is her name) is poised to take over the title of "most emotionally precious inatimate object in sarah's world." i've already cried on the shiny new dash and taken her for long long drives to nowhere at 3 in the morning.

4. the lack of ambulance sirens coming for me
2006 was the year of only one(!) ER visit. no dislocated shoulders for me!

3. mogwai - "friend of the night" & "2 rights make 1 wrong"
these rank high for a couple of reasons: they're the highest played songs on my itunes, i discovered them years too late because i was being a closed-minded dump for no reason and i feel like i need to redeem myself somehow, and having heard these songs this year i've concluded that they may be the only songs in existence that rival explosions in the sky's "yr hand in mine" as being the most heart-meltingly amazing song i've ever heard.

2. thump thump thump whirrrrrr clank twist click beepbeepbeep shhhhhhhh clink... &c.
this is what my life sounds like. these are the noises of my livelihood being a barista at hyperion espresso, and my job, whatever i might think about it, has been one of the most important things i've had this past year.

1. hearing my name read off a card on may 13
i graduated college. i'm still terrified. it was a lot bigger of a deal that i want to admit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home