Tuesday, February 21, 2006

always wear a helmet

so today, my life takes another unexpected turn towards the tragic.

me and blade were riding home from school today, as we tend to do on days, and as we come down the hill by seacobeck i see this dog running in my path, chasing a squirrel. i'm going too fast to stop and the dog is obviously on a mission; it was one of those accidents that everyone could see coming but no one can stop.

so i hit the dog.

she yelps, and i go ass-over-elbow off blade's handebars and crack my head open on the pavement, breaking the hell out of my glasses (and anyone who knows me knows how scared i am of breaking my glasses). i sit up and there's blood everywhere and it's pouring down my face and pooling on the ground. i'm terrified and shaken and don't know what to do. fortunately, kids at this school are really nice and some really great girl held my scarf on my head to stop the fountain of blood. my white scarf is pretty much ruined, but will make the greatest prop ever at my zombie theme party.

i shouldn't have spoken so soon 2 posts ago about not being the one in the back of the ambulance. i climbed aboard again today for round 3. different EMTs this time, but no less of an abysmal ER experience.

after they cleaned the blood off my face (which i really wish i'd seen; i bet i looked like death) and left me alone, i stopped being hard and started crying for my mom, and then anyone. i couldn't see on account of no glasses and my head was pounding and i had blood caked in my hair and the television was stuck on the home shopping network and my nurse was cranky and i really wish someone had been there with me.

i have a headache, but i'm fine. and so is the dog. and i'm getting a new pair of glasses out of it. and i'm a badass killer who left a pool of blood outside seacobeck.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

oh no! theyre going to know you by name at the mary wash hospital, what an honor.

Whatever you do, don't blame your bike. Just walk up to it slowly, give it a light caress. You'll both forget all about it.

9:37 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

i don't blame my bike. i would never blame blade, but i was a little nervous in the saddle today. it wasn't his fault and i still love him, although i think he might need his front wheel replaced as a result of the collision.

i blame squirrels.

also, sometimes i like to stop by the ER to say hey to my dudes there.

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in the bullet office the other day and Dan Ceo came in and said "A girl just fell off her bike. It's pretty bad, but people are helping her." I wish I would have gone outside. I'm sorry.

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home